Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh Snap!

Thank you to the higher being (God?) for snapping me back to reality this evening. I attended my executive board meeting at the CJC (Community Justice Center) this evening at the auditorium. It wasn't until I started towards the building that I saw the big red cross.
I forgot it was the emergency shelter for the 25 families that were displaced almost three weeks ago by the flash flood that hit our city. Yes, I forgot. Shamefully I forgot that those families were still living in there. I forgot all the devastation that they experienced. There whole lives turned upside down. Lost homes, lost cars and some people lost their jobs because no way to work means no work. Some of these have HAD their whole world turned upside down.


Some are trying to figure out how to put their world back together or hold on to whats left.
The city is still carefully cleaning up and examining the streets for possible sink holes. They are closely watching multiple hills for land slides. Unfortunately the city is at the mercy of mother nature.

Then there are those that are trying to find the "light" side of things. FREE MUD! That's an understatement.

However, it wasn't until tonight that things really fell into perspective for me. I drove in driving Ingrid (my BMW), walked into the aud carrying my leather Dooney and Bourke purse, and wearing my completely designer brand outfit. I realized how much I take for granted. How many things that I treasure are just items that can be replaced. It was just what I needed to wake me up and to get me to stop dwelling on the things that don't matter and start focusing on the things that do. First thing, start cleaning out and donating to those that lost SO much! Oh and two, praying that they all find the peace and strength to get through the days ahead of them. X,

No comments: