Friday, May 22, 2009

Bedrest sucks!

That's right bedrest is the pitts!

On May 8, 2009 I was scheduled to have a pilonidal cyst removed out of my butt crack. I know, your thinking gross. But for me I'm thinking just how fucking painful it is . I was at the point where I didn't want to go the movies because half way through I would be so uncomfortable that I was half tempted to get up and leave. Instead I spent the second half moving every few minutes to try and regain comfort to no avail. Car rides over two hours required multiple stops so I could get up and walk and take the pressure of my tailbone.

May 8 came and I went in for surgery. The nurse blew my first IV not making me overly happy. I'm not a fan of IV's the thought of a fish line in my hand kind of bothers me. My surgeon, Dr. Z came in to see me in the pacu before I was wheeled into the operating room. I don't remember anything until I woke up in the recovery area of the pacu. Dr. Z was in the recovery room when I woke up from the sedation. He told me that I didn't have just one cyst but instead two were removed. He also told that what we discussed about the small incision on the inside of my butt cheek wasn't what he acutally had to do to remove them. I ended up with three incisions and one being 4 inches in length.

I'll sum it up. The recovery is HELL! Painful? Most definately Yes! I orginally had the weekend + monday after my surgery off from work. I went back to work for a half day on Tuesday and drove home in tears because I was in so much pain. Wednesday was the same thing only this time I thought I could vomit because the vicoden and ibprophen they had me on wasn't touching the pain. I ended up back at Dr.Z's office in tears. He immediately wrote me a note to be on a limited bed rest until May 21. I was ordered to the couch and bed staying off my butt/back as much as possible and being semi comfortable. The only way for me to be comfortable was to have constant hot/cold packs on my incision area. Dr. Z was wonderful he called me on Friday to see how I was doing.

Wednesday May 21 comes and I go to have my stitches out. Dr. Z looks and I'm ribbed a stitch out of the top incision so it looks like it has not healed correctly. Once he looked closer my body has been rejecting the stitches and started to grow away from them and then in one area right up and over them. Getting my stitches out was a BITCH! I've never been in so much pain. I left with a huge hole in my butt crack that we are to keep an eye on to make sure there is no infection. I left the hospital with tears running down my face because it hurt so bad.

May 22: Back to work. I still can't sit comfortably so instead I stood at my desk all day. Left an hour early.

Which brings us to Today. Back to see Dr.Z because Doc changed my dressing this morning only to have brown/dark yellow drainage a sure sign of infection coming from my open wound. My Boss sent me home. Dr. Z told me to remain home from work laying low. Dr.Z is concerned that he will need to split my incision and wick it to drain the infection. I'm not looking forward to anything like this taking place. I just want to be healed and back to work.


I'm SICK of being sick!

No comments: